Art by Calliope
Calliope (Cali) Thomas was born and raised in New York City, graduating from Queens College with a BA in Education and a minor in Studio art. She used her BA in Education to become an early childhood educator. Before college she was a self taught visual artist, using acrylics to do abstracts. Cali moved to Milwaukee to start a new chapter in her life and started her teaching career. At the same time, she took courses at MIAD and was mentored in the studio of James Hempel so that she could continue to paint. Once she retired, Cali became more involved with En Plein Air painting and participated into many events and shows.
- Cedarburg Cultural Center for Plein Air Competition (2008, 9, 10)
- Oconomowoc Plein Air Competition (2008)
- Wauwatosa Plein Air Competition (2009,10)
- MAM Marketplace Tent Show (2010)
- Art in Action – Annual Membership Show for Art Guild of Menomonee Falls
- Pastel Society of Wisconsin/Underwood Photography Group at the One Way Cafe
- Wauwatosa Artists Workshop Show at Clement Manor
- Bay View Art Guild's ARTiculate Show at the Art Bar (2011)
- Art Bar – Small works 8” X 8” or smaller
- Artist Gallery of the Guild, Menomonee Falls, WI (March – September 2012)
This past year, Cali moved to Bradenton, Florida. She joined the Artist Guild of Anna Maria Island and is now juried in to display her artworks.
Cali’s medium of choice was oils and acrylics, however due to her involvement in the “Soft Pastel Talk” website, she began to concentrate only on pastels. Currently concentrating on art full-time, she uses her daily experiences and the emotions that come from them as her inspiration. Her goal is to have the observer forget physical reality, seeing rather the innocence, romance, and inner personal reflections within each representational piece she creates.
Cali focuses mainly on landscape, still life and flowers. Through her use of vibrant colors, combined with large, loose strokes she translates her style of beauty into her works.